Monday, September 6, 2010

Typing in the Dark

My table is still set with the dishes that were ready for supper several nights ago. The three of us didn't get to eat together here. A much more wonderful evening unfolded and four of us ate together at an altogether different table. These clean place settings, which my son placed with such excitement in anticipation of our guest's arrival, remind me that almost every day is filled with moments of expectation that give way to total surprise. What we think will be wonderful, or awful, comes to be as the moment it was meant to be - whether we planned and executed it perfectly or bumbled along. The mystery is the constant, and it is the sparkle in the eye. Our hearts can break, our emotions plummet or soar, but always we can be assured of the mystery. Some of us believe that God is the mystery, that there is a life force beyond our comprehension which sustains our journey from moment to moment. Some of us come to terms with the mystery and some of us don't, whether we spend time thinking about it, naming it, attempting to manipulate it, or ignoring it.

What I get in reflection is that the grandeur of the interrupted supper far surpassed my expectations, went beyond what I had prepared for. I am thankful that I have become accustomed to accepting the frailty of my plans, their temporary and insignificant nature. Plans and expectations are for sissies.

6 comments:

  1. oh my good gravy and peas. this is lovely. i think i had an experience like that once. i will try to be ready for my plans to change today. thanks for sharing this beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the end it's the people that make the events that make the changes - this is what we call "life" and "living". If we knew what was coming, we usually wouldn't be there for it - and we would miss out. This post says it well I think. Meanwhile, a constipated cat attempts to eat my cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did all involved feel the friendship?
    Did all involved feel the glee?
    Did all involved feel the peace?
    Did all involved feel the fun?
    If YES then do it again!
    If NO try harder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I not comment on the stupid cat?

    ReplyDelete
  5. any cat that can steal cheese (or any kind of food) from Steve Sibra is not stupid. any cat who has his owner trained to keep a close eye on said cat's bowel movements is a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stand corrected and enchanted. And I may not be able to look Mr Sibra in the eye if by chance we meet...

    ReplyDelete