Thursday, September 9, 2010

Laughter

Holy crap. I've been spending a lot of time with truly gifted people lately. Very often when someone is gifted in some way or another they are truly unaware of the special nature of their talent. It stands to reason that we should not give our gifts the weight they deserve in our own life. How could it be valuable, admirable, or inspiring when it seems to take little or no effort or hard work to accomplish? When it seems like play instead of labor? It is exactly that ease which others, who do not hold the same gifts, observe immediately and find remarkable. Humility is one thing, but allowing yourself to be joyful as you use your gifts is a special kind of generosity, a very endearing quality.

As much as I appreciate my thank you being received, by the same token I would be wise to allow myself to be thanked as well. Often this is the more difficult accomplishment.

2 comments: