Friday, July 15, 2011

Do I go on?

All it takes is a subject and the slightest bit of mojo. Whatever that is. It's important, though, because if it isn't there the subject gets murky, lost, and confused. Nobody wants to read that.

I got the brilliant idea once that I could run a lumber yard. It turns out it wasn't as crazy as it seemed, but it doesn't mean I pulled it off, either. It's been almost seven years since I mustered the mojo to say my idea out loud. It's been some over two years since I left my home, my kids, and my marriage. A year before that I gave up on my part at the lumber yard. Oddly enough, striking out to buy a 'man's ' business in a remote Montana town was one of the greatest things I've ever done. It just turned out way different than I had hoped or planned.

Hindsight is so clear. My first misjudgment (in the realm of this subject) was who I chose to open the conversation with. You would think your dad would be everyone's first choice, a logical and wise first choice. Oh contraire. However, to be fair, the entire thing would not have materialized in less than three months had I chosen anyone else in the world. To continue the fairness, it probably would have been better in the end if it would have taken six months or three years to reach full throttle.

Within a month there was a full-blown business plan, two lenders, an asset purchase proposal, and a new briefcase (which Dad told me I wouldn't like, I should have bought one with hard sides. Sometimes we just can't see the signs for the road.) My concern was that I had two young children at home and would not be able to run a great lumber yard, no matter how small the town, without some help. It was important to find at least two people that I trusted, that had some knowledge of hardware, lumber, and customer service, and that could work full time and full tilt. Right?

It was very important, but it was not accomplished. Now, I've been in a canoe before. You know that moment when the other guy stands up in the canoe and you are very sure things are going to get difficult? What you do in that moment is key to how things end up for YOU, isn't it. If you don't take instant and decisive action, you are going to be under an upturned canoe without a paddle. (At least if you are just up the creek chances are you're still dry.) Your passenger either sits down NOW or goes overboard NOW if you are going to stay in the canoe. Well, I got in the canoe with people who not only insisted on standing up in it, but defended the wisdom of doing so.

Now a good long talk before putting in would have prevented this kind of problem, right? Signing reems of papers with your sister, your husband, and your mom and dad is nothing to be scared of, right? Having meetings and sharing the plans on paper would be a good way to get everything ironed out, right? Well, as with many great outdoor adventures, there is often plenty of convincing bluster to make embarking seem like a good idea to the guy who ends up packing the firewood.

When I get to this part, just over the threshold of the beginning, I bog down. Things went wrong on so many levels. It's where I slipped under the metaphorical canoe and began to tread water. I knew everyone was still there, I just couldn't see, and everything sounded far away. But I had to keep treading, and in reality that is what I did for the next four years. I lost twenty pounds and reached a weight I hadn't been since 7th grade. I discovered I had a thyroid condition, and I had my gall bladder removed within a month of my first big bidding project and Homecoming. I thought I was going to die. And despite all the personal turmoil, I was running a lumber yard. Successfully. Loans approved, property acquired, inventory stocked, accounting system - well, this one never did get put right. To be honest, it never was right. There was never a firm agreement about how to keep the books, or about the heirarchy. (The manager? The president? The leader? CONSENSUS? YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!) Customers were coming from everywhere, vendors came knocking, six more businesses opened in town. Houses available for sale dove from over 50 to four in two years. I'm not taking credit - I'm just saying things were going well once I had good help that first summer. Good help couldn't make up for screwy partners, though.

10 comments:

  1. I have left a home, a marriage, which takes courage as well as balls as people do tend to condemn when they haven't the slightest clue what your life is all about as they have never walked once in your shoe's, but I don't believe that I could have ever left my children, though to be truthful, at a certain point in my life I would have liked to have given up that reponsiblitily and run as fast I could, because it is such a huge and very hard responsiblility and please do not believe for a one moment that I of all people condemn or criticize you for your decision. At this point in my life, I am glad that I did not as they have turned out to be wonderful grown men and women. I hope you have reconnected with your children again. As to your other comment about screwy partners and for what it is worth friendships, it is a good thing to keep a close eye on both since some so called "friends" and "partners" are not always what they seem. Some hide secrects and agenda's and I am speaking from experience. But if you have a good relationship with your family cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really lost connection with my kids. But one day I left them crying and they new I was not going to be home later. That was horrible, and I can't think about it without crying. I pray still that whatever wounds that opened up in them will heal, and that God will touch them and make them strong.
    I don't get to see them or talk to them every day, and that is hard. But I couldn't fight for them, and I knew that they were safe where they were, that they had extended family and that they would still love me through their anger and hurt. I've done what I can to be there for them, and I think they know that, and they know that I love them, even if they do not understand what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad, anonymous, that you are happy about your relationship with your children.
    Do keep an eye on those screwy partners, whatever relationship they are to you! Seriously, though, I think it's more being true to yourself than keeping track of anyone else. There's an internal gauge, intuition, that will tell us what we need to know if we practice listening to it (and then not arguing with it).

    I appreciate your sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree with you Bean, we do have an internal gauge and you should be true to yourself, but sometimes because you want something badly enough we tend to ignore the signs or as you say arguing with it, that God and our angels give us. As for you children, I'm glad that that they know you are there and I know that they still love you as it seems that you have let them know that. In my case my ex and family turned out not to be so nice or supportive. He fought me for full custody and when he lost my children were totally ignored or the old guilt trip was layed upon them. Fortunately, by the grace of the Higher Power they have turned into amazing adults. I am fortunate they seem to give me some of the credit for who and what they have become though for the life of me I don't see how. I do however thank the Man above for whatever it was in me that helped them. Keep on writing as I enjoy reading. I hope you don't might if I comment from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind at all.
    Your story and mine are the same, and different. I wasn't in the position to fight for custody for several different reasons. I left with the vehicle I drove and some clothes. I left a lot behind, but I feel like that kept things more even keel for the kids - I didn't have the resources to give them a decent, safe home in the fight that would have begun. There was no money for lawyers, I handled my own divorce. So far I am not sorry. God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon,
    You seem strong and thankful. I don't know how you found this blog, but I hope it helps you work through your story. I'm finding that it can't all be done at once - it will take years to reap all that can be harvested from what's happened to me. It's like reading the Bible - each time there is something new, something you couldn't see before because you didn't know this or that.
    Welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bean, No longer Anon Now CheesecakeandCoffee. I don't now anyone who can't benefit from a good cup of coffee and a good cheesecake and I am not talking one piece either. Every girl needs something fatting once in a while!!!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got it! Make mine ice cream, and in summer right in the coffee please!
    But, gosh, cheesecake...mmmm

    Have a great day Cheesecake&Coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bean, you have a great day also. And you are right on with the ice cream in the coffee. No cheesecake??? give me the ice cream every time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, not 'no' cheesecake -just one piece - more than one will put me under!

    ReplyDelete